Sunday, August 10, 2008

"Shit Happens"


Scott and I bought a Combine this winter (an old combine). We thought that it might be fun and maybe bring in a few extra dollars for the family. Scott is pretty talented when it comes to farm equipment and fixing things. We worked together many days on fixing minor things this spring. We parked the combine in the hay shed where it would be out of the weather and we thought out of the way of danger. Then we noticed one afternoon that a bale of hay fell on the auger and bent it up. So we found another old combine that someone was just junking out parts and was able to buy the auger from him it was in great shape. We replaced it and began to tinker some more getting the combine in good shape for the grain harvest to begin. The first day a knife breaks $300, the second day a hose breaks $40, the third a tire breaks $1800, no that is not a typo, and so on. You probably know where the story gets its title from because that is the famous phrase when it comes to our projects I believe.
We start feeling better about things because he gets a few more phone calls from friends that want him to come cut grain. $$$ we hoped. Then we were having a good week and Scott calls me on a Firday night and says we had a break down today and not sure if it is just a plug or what I was hoping it was the .40 cent plug. I get another phone call and it is Scott, he is not sounding to happy (i thought maybe someone had died he was so sad) he says sweetheart I should have known it was bad if he was calling me sweetheart, we lost the engine in the combine. WHAT!!! I am beginning to wonder about what we were thinkin but as you know SHIT HAPPENS! I love you Scott!

3 comments:

Amy Jo said...

That is really a bummer story. I hope things start to look up for you guys. Good Luck!!

On a happier note...I loved your harvest pic. Looks nice! It looks like your family is having a great summer. Also, it looks like your computer is working! I hope you got those scrapbook pages OK. Let me know if I need to resend them.

I hope you guys did not see any snakes out on your city of rocks adventure.

Anonymous said...

I hate to laugh, but you make a "not so funny at the moment" story really funny!! I love the pic at the top. that's awesome!! It's so nice to see a new post!!

Katie B said...

That's total SH**!! I am so sorry. But you do tell a good story!

I am loving the picture on top too! So cool!